by Maggie Mallik, David Howard, Carol Hall
Nursing knowledge and practice is a comprehensive textbook which forms an ideal basis for foundation nursing students. The core emphasis in the organisation and presentation of knowledge in this third edition remains focused on the in-depth knowledge required by nurses to deliver care in the practice setting.
The chapter contents encompass knowledge that applies to all branches of nursing e.g. Communication, Confusion, Aggression and Rehabilitation Safety and Risk, Infection Control, Medicines etc. The structure of all chapters is unique in integrating knowledge from subject areas often taught separately in the nursing curriculum. This enables the foundation student to integrate this range of knowledge in making decisions about the delivery of nursing care to patients/clients in all fields of nursing. Exercises are included to encourage reflection on practice and develop critical thinking skills. It also promotes the expansion of professional knowledge through the development of portfolio evidence.
Building on the outstanding success of previous editions the authors have drawn extensively on current best evidence, including research, policy and substantial internet based resources, reflecting UK and international perspectives.
• Each chapter begins with an overview of the content and concludes with a summary to help evaluate learning
• Case studies reflect the diverse range of client needs and care settings of the four nursing branches and help relate theory to practice
• Reflective exercises and suggestions for portfolio evidence, along with decision-making activities, promote reflection on personal experience and links to nursing practice using a problem-based approach
• Current research is highlighted throughout, demonstrating the evidence-base for practice decisions.
• Key web sites, annotated further reading and references encourage readers to pursue contemporary evidence that underpins competency-based practice.
Full colour throughout
Content fully updated in line with developments in clinical practice, teaching requirements and the evidence-base
Free electronic ancillaries on Evolve enhance the knowledge provided in each chapter with additional information, exercises and resources
An introductory chapter on ‘Nursing Knowledge and Practice’ explores the role and context of nursing, nationally and internationally, providing foundation information on core knowledge areas common to all nursing curricula.
Note: Only Platinum member can download this ebook. Learn more here!