- Elizabeth M. Varcarolis, RN, MA, Professor Emeritus, Formerly Deputy Chairperson, Department of Nursing, Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York, NY; Associate Fellow, Albert Ellis Institute for Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), New York, NY
The revised reprint includes all new DSM-5 updates, updated psychiatric nursing content, along with new opening unit pages with vignettes, Selected Concept boxes and a new chapter on stress and stress-related disorders. This updated version equips yourself for today’s psychiatric nursing practice with all of the essential nursing interventions and clinical content combined with current research and evidence-based practice. From the author of the bestselling Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, this text was specifically developed to effectively prepare students in today’s shorter courses.
New to This Edition
- NEW! Chapter on stress identifies symptoms and triggers of stressors.
- NEW! Selected Concept boxes include pertinent information at the beginning of every chapter.
- NEW! Cultural Considerations sections reinforce the principles of culturally competent care.
- NEW! Additional discussions of QSEN are incorporated in the Nursing Process and QSEN chapter.
- NEW! Opening unit pages include photos and information about the most important contributions of psychiatric mental health nursing pioneers.
- NEW! Updated Table of Contents improves content flow and eliminates redundancy.
- New DSM-5 criteria boxes in an appendix
- Updated Chapters include:
- Chapter 17: Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder -new material on the Recovery Model adapted for schizophrenia, new Matrix 7 domains for Cognition affected by Schizophrenia, and an updated chapter drug table which now includes the latest drugs for schizophrenia
- Chapter 15: Mood Disorders: Depression – the chapter drug table has been updated with the latest drugs for depression
- Chapter 16: Bipolar Spectrum Disorders – the medication tables have been updated throughout
- Chapter 11: Anxiety, Anxiety Disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders – this chapter has been updated with new content
- Chapter 12: Somatoform Disorders and Dissociative Disorders – the section on somatic symptom disorder has been thoroughly revised
- Chapter 19: Addiction and Compulsions – this chapter has been rewritten with additions of substances, medications and new tables
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes explain the reasoning behind nursing interventions and how research affects everyday practice.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art sections communication tables in the clinical chapters provide examples of therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication techniques as well as realistic nurse-patient interaction scenarios.
- Key concepts and terms clarify essential terminology.
- Potential Nursing Diagnosis tables give several possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs and symptoms.
- Vignettes offer succinct, real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Assessment Guidelines familiarize readers with methods of assessing patients.
- Critical thinking questions introduce clinical situations in psychiatric nursing.
- Key Points to Remember outline the main concepts of each chapter in an easy to comprehend and concise bulleted list.
Note: Only Platinum member can download this ebook. Learn more here!