- Ian A. Greer, Regius Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, University of Glasgow, UK
- Jeffrey Ginsberg, Professor of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Charles D. Forbes, Professor of Medicine, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, UK
This book brings together specialist authors from a variety of medical disciplines to give comprehensive coverage of the whole spectrum of women’s vascular health. Covering coronary artery disease and its precursors, venous disease, thrombophilic defects, hormonal therapy and haemorrhagic problems, the content is divided into three sections.
Section one reviews generic issues including the pathophysiology of arteriosclerosis, metabolic factors in vascular disease, the epidemiology and management of CHD in women. The management of cardiac syndrome X and the problem of diabetes are also discussed here. The second section looks at women’s vascular health as it applies to fertility issues and during pregnancy such as polycystic ovarian disease, menstrual dysfunction, the menopause, venous thromboembolism and haemorrhagic problems. In the concluding third section, hormonal therapy in women and in particular the oral contraceptive pill and hormone replacement therapies are covered.
The reader will be given a clear overview of the potential mechanisms whereby such therapy can act as a risk factor for arterial and venous disease, and will receive clear guidance regarding prescribing.
- The only reference book to present all aspects of women’s vascular health in a single volume
- An ideal resource for all disciplines involved in women’s health, particularly obstetrics/gynaecology, cardiology, vascular medicine & haematology
- Looks in detail at the cardiovascular risk factors associated with hormonal therapies, an ongoing area of particular interest to clinicians and patients
- Encourages a more holistic view of women’s health issues, currently fragmented by the different medical specialisms involved
- International editorial team comprising a representative from each of the key medical specialties ensures a balanced view